Patient Education – Walking With Cane
How to walk with a cane
- Place the cane in the hand opposite to your weakest leg.
- Stand with your weight evenly distributed on each leg, using the cane for balance.
- Move the cane forward.
- Place most of your weight on your good leg.
- Move your sore leg forward even with the cane.
- Place your weight on your sore leg using the cane for balance.
- Move your other leg up to or past the cane and your sore leg.
- Balance yourself again.
- Repeat the process.